Friday, February 21, 2014

Stations

One word, STATIONS.

I have to say, I hated workstations with my whole being. I assumed workstations were for lazy teachers who did not want to plan full lessons and teach. Boy was I wrong. My entire life has changed now that I have implemented workstations into my classroom. My students are progressing farther than I could have imagined in such a short amount of time. I am able to keep things fun, pull small groups, and have students master curriculum through repeated practice. I would recommend workstations to anyone and everyone.

How did I set them up?

I was never taught how to do centers or workstations in college because we focused on 100% direct instruction. This was done all by trial and error. If I can do it, anyone can.

First, I set my goal. I wanted to complete all CC math standards and have each student master them.

Set up:

- Create a poster of all standards in student friendly language so they can understand what is expected.


- Mark bins according to each standard.



- Create a leveled board for students to keep track of their progress.


-Put workstations in baggies so that they can fit in your bins.
-Create a lost and found area for missing workstation pieces.


-Create student folders
       -Insert a goal sheet with all standards so that they may check off what has been mastered.

       -Insert a stamp sheet for behavior purposes.


-Create a "Test In" area filled with mini tests. After you pull them in small group, you can ask them to fill out a test in order to test into a new workstation.


Steps:

One: Have students choose a standard that they have mastered (one that has a check) and dismiss them to that workstation. You want them to work at a station that they have mastered to ensure that they are not practicing with mistakes. That can build bad habits.

Two: Pull your "at risk" students first. I work with them for 40 minutes a day. These are the students that have not mastered any CC standards.

Three: Set a timer for 15 minutes. The students at stations should actively work and show work the entire time.

Four: Once the timer switches, have students skip count as they clean up in order to monitor behavior, side conversations, and further practice.

Five: Pull the next small group after 40 min. Pull the next group for 20 minutes and base it off of a standard. (Ex: T= "Students, if you have not passed NBT2, meet me in small group")

**Have students keep completed work in their folders. They must also keep a record of their progress**



Six: Have students go to their desks and show you their station work for the day. If the teacher feels it is adequate and their behavior was good, give a stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment